Monday, February 12, 2007

You Never Give Me Your Money

On Saturday I heard her talking to someone on the phone. She said, "Call me when you are closer and maybe I will wait out in my car."

Obviously she was headed out for another Saturday/Sunday of drinking and who-knows-what.

I have to admit that, given the opportunity to spoil her plans, I would jump at the chance. So I grabbed my coat, got in my car, and jettisoned the pod. Now she would have to stay home to watch our daughter, and I would come back after her window of opportunity had passed.

I went to a restaurant and ate with some friends. Afterward we watched a movie at their house, and then I returned home. But when I got there, the house was empty. My wife had dropped our daughter off at the neighbor's and had headed out to "get her drink on." The 18-year old step daughter was gone too.

I enjoyed the quiet and solitude....until 1:30 AM when her teenager came home with 8 other friends. They quickly swarmed over the living room, turned on the TV and had a small party. They had been drinking, I could tell and smell, and they were not the least bit quiet. My solitude was broken.

Rather than confront anyone, and creating another police report, I retreated to my guest room and tried to sleep. But it was not until after 3:00 AM that I finally was able to sleep. In the morning I got up for church and saw that the place had been trashed. No permanent damage, but a lot of dirt, mud, soda, and coffee. Everyone was gone, but there remained one old car outside with the keys safely locked inside. It is still there 2 days later.

My wife missed it all, as she didn't stumble home until sometime between 4AM and 7AM.


Meanwhile... She has closed the joint bank account that held mostly her money. Once a month I did transfer $360 from that account to pay on a loan that was used to pay off her credit cards. Now that is impossible, although I still have to pay the loan.

Now I pay for everything, including food. She keeps her paycheck for herself, parties every Saturday, and lives for free. It is a spectacular deal, and there seems to be nothing I can do to make her move out, or pay some expenses. I wish there is something I could turn off to make up for the $360, but there really isn't.

I am waiting for her to sign the settlement agreement, but I don't think that is going to happen. She wants to re-hash the financial part now, after we had agreed on it three times. She wants financial history for my stuff, but is not offering up her own. And this is stuff that we were in agreement on for months.


Perhaps she feels that she can squeeze a few more dollars out of my retirement savings. And to me, this is the ultimate in greed. Rather than just leaving with $100,000 of money she doesn't really deserve, after being unfaithful, she wants to argue for more. Petty.

The numbers we negotiated were based on accurate balances (on my end) but I don't feel compelled to answer to her selective demands for more information. If I do, there will be some other demand next. And it never stops. If she demands all my statements, then I want my balls back.

No comments: