Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Social Incestpool


Everyone who works in our large office is connected somehow, through their ex-boyfriend, ex-wife, mistress, or all of the above. I met my wife at work and fell in love. She was divorcing her former husband, who also worked there. For years she flirted with another guy out there, finally having an affair with him and now living with him, with my daughter in tow. I get to see one former husband and one future husband in the hallway. And if she ever gets a job there again, I get to see her too.

Does it ever stop? I know it's my fault, but at what point does God chuckle and say, "OK. That's enough." ?

With so many relationship cousins there, you always run into someone who knows your business. The other day I was ordering a sandwich in the cafeteria and a very pleasant woman I've known since we both grew up on the same street stopped to say Hi.

She gives me a big smile as she greets me and and then tells me how big my daughter is getting. "Yes....Have you seen her?" I asked.

"Yeah," she tells me. "I had a bunch of people over the other day and your ex and Mark came with your daughter and his daughter. It was really nice. I tell you, those two make a great couple and the kids love each other too. Really.... It was adorable."

I stare for a second and then say, "Yes, they are something, aren't they."

"Yes," says Elizabeth. "How long have they been together?"

Scrunching my face up I say, "Well, let's see. If you count the three years they were together while we were still married, it is a long time. I guess five years now. Wow."

Suddenly Elizabeth realizes that the divorce was an unhappy family disintegration and not a wonderful celebration of new lovers. She reads the slightly uncomfortable look on my face and looks sympathetic. She touches my arm and says in a sweet voice, "Ohhhh no. I see that you aren't over it yet. I'm sorry."

I assure her that I'm fine, but she continues to feel bad that I am bothered by the whole affair, abandonment, robbery, and kidnapping thing.

But somehow God steps up to the plate and makes her large cup of soda slip out of her hand and onto the floor. There is soda and ice everywhere. Thanks, God. Nice one.

I smiled and said good bye to Elizabeth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Dear Elizabeth, In what alternate dimension is it okay to tell an ex of any kind what a great couple the other ex and new lover make?" Seems to me like the dropping of the soda can was a little too tame. God should have made it explode in her face!