Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My enemy's enemy

Husband Number 2 (H2, I am H3) works in the same building as me but never talks to me. He's not fond of me, naturally, but I recently got an indirect communication from him.  This is the first communication since the basic I-Wish-You-Would-Die communications of many years ago.  But now he is motivated to contact me because we have something in common.  We are both still paying her.  H2 pays child support as well as college expenses for the first daughter.  I'm paying child support for the second daughter.  Neither of us would complain about support our kids EXCEPT for the fact that W1 doesn't bother to work and hasn't had a real job in two years.  She had a house for a year until she ran out of my retirement savings.  Now she is living for free in her boyfriend's lakefront home.

Anyway, H2 is taking her to court to force her to contribute to daughter #1's (D1) college expenses.  I sympathize with him because W1 ought to be working and helping with college.  In fact, she should been saving for college for years.  And since I paid all of the living expenses for W1 and D1 for over 15 years, the child support she received should have been saved for college and not given to Wet Seal.  But she saved nothing and doesn't feel obligated to pay anything now.

H2 was hoping that I could somehow support his case.  I'm not sure how I would do that, except to say that I, too, have witnessed her insider stealing. But there isn't much I could say that would help him win his case.  AND, more importantly, if he happens to win the case and she is ordered to pay something, guess who would be the next person to face her in court.

She would immediately turn her laser like focus on me.  She would drive downtown and tell the judge to run the numbers on me again, and I would wind up paying more.  My income has increased a small amount and her income would be estimated at half what it was.  I asked my lawyer how much I would pay and he did some calculations and reassured me.  "Looks like your support figure would only double," he says.

Well, double is too much. I can't do anything that would cause my support (paid to someone who lives for free) to double.  Sorry, but I feel for you, man.

Meanwhile, I hear through other channels that her daughter (D1) actually testified against her.  I guess that makes sense since this is about her college expenses, but I am a little surprised.  Mother and daughter used to be drinking buddies, even before it was legal for one of them.  I wonder what happened.

Little Daughter #2 (D2) reports that D1 hasn't been around since that night the police came to Mommy's house.  Apparently there was some party while her mother was away that led to vomit on the neighbor's porch.  And now the older daughter only stays with her father when she comes home from college.  So I guess something went down.

So I don't know how this turned out.  I suspect that her unemployment will save her from the lawsuit, and maybe I am safe for now.  But I expect there to be a battle this fall if she tries to change our daughter's school district.  I'm getting ready for the showdown now, just in case.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"But I expect there to be a battle this fall if she tries to change our daughter's school district. I'm getting ready for the showdown now, just in case. " Your crystal ball was working when you wrote that one. You should post about it sometime.