
I think we all know that something has happened to Halloween. No longer are Halloween parties filled with pirates and doctors. Now all the women are Sexy Pirate or Sexy Doctor, or even Sexy Nun. But what is a little shocking to me is that this trend has spread to young children who go door to door for candy. Now you have Major Flirt, Miss Behaved, Red Hot Devil Child, Sexy Fairy, and most of the adult costumes in smaller versions.
As I reported before, my wife bought the "Miss Behaved" sexy prisoner costume for our 6-year-old daughter. It is a very short dress with a spiked choker, platform shoes, and leather-like wrist restraints. I didn't care for it, but my wife has our daughter this year.
Knowing that I wasn't crazy about Miss Behaved, our daughter asked me if she could get a Dorothy costume. "Sure you can," I told her, and we went right out and bought one. But I don't think she will get to wear it as her mother intends for her to wear the sexy prisoner outfit.
So I wondered about this new phenomena and did a search on news.google.com for articles about little girl costumes. I found plenty of stories about how scary some of these costumes really are. I took one of the articles that mentioned Miss Behaved by name and sent it to my wife.
Here is the conversation:
Me: <article about kids' sexy costumes>
Her: "It's not possible for a 6 year old to be "sexy". She is a little girl playing dress up. Please stop making that a negative thing."
Me: "Dressing a 6-year-old up in a sexy costume for Halloween is both creepy and disturbing. It only teaches her that trashy is good. If you don't believe me or understand the problem, search http://news.google.com for "'miss behaved'"
Her: "Whats creepy and disturbing is all the dead peoples clothing and crap that you have sitting around the house"
That was her reasoning on the matter. As long as I have my father's Navy uniforms and my mother's furniture, then sexy costumes on a 6-year-old must be OK.
No comments:
Post a Comment