
Wow. The past week has been a blur. A nice, pleasing blur that gives you good memories if only you could remember it.
After the Departure of the Ex last Friday, when friends were arriving as she was starting her car, it has been one gathering after another. Years of prohibition were followed by the first week of freedom.
The plasma TV arrived on Friday. The new dishwasher arrived on Sunday. Earlier, I bought a sign that says "friends" and put it up in the kitchen.
I was almost never allowed to have friends over, and only rarely have family over. To prove this, I can tell you that one of my best birthdays was when she allowed me to invite my mother over for dinner. Usually that was frowned upon.
But with the news spreading, my peeps started arriving. Brother Rob was here, spending a lot of time in the basement where I used to live. Friends from high school, friends from work, were all here. People came from North Carolina, Maryland, Philadelphia and North Jersey, all to see the little mark
s on the carpet where furniture once sat.
We turned the lights down and the volume up and set up the mirror ball again. By the time Barbara and Lynn had a couple Alabama Slammers, it was a real party.
I seem to remember at one point we had Hey Jude playing loudly on the stereo with me joining in on the piano as friends danced in train fashion around the first floor singing Na-na-na-na-na-na-na...Hey Jude. Wonderful. All You Need is Love.
It was a great time, and it was also reassuring to see people who knew me but didn't think I was an asshole. That was decidedly different from the people who used to be in my house.
We all had a good time and the evenings ended without police cars, or arguments, or angry in-laws, or stolen property. The guests slept peacefully in the rooms that once burned red with evil. I think the house was finally happy again. And as I left for work this morning, it seemed to be content.
Awesome.
Thanks everyone.


I was almost never allowed to have friends over, and only rarely have family over. To prove this, I can tell you that one of my best birthdays was when she allowed me to invite my mother over for dinner. Usually that was frowned upon.
But with the news spreading, my peeps started arriving. Brother Rob was here, spending a lot of time in the basement where I used to live. Friends from high school, friends from work, were all here. People came from North Carolina, Maryland, Philadelphia and North Jersey, all to see the little mark
s on the carpet where furniture once sat.We turned the lights down and the volume up and set up the mirror ball again. By the time Barbara and Lynn had a couple Alabama Slammers, it was a real party.
I seem to remember at one point we had Hey Jude playing loudly on the stereo with me joining in on the piano as friends danced in train fashion around the first floor singing Na-na-na-na-na-na-na...Hey Jude. Wonderful. All You Need is Love.
It was a great time, and it was also reassuring to see people who knew me but didn't think I was an asshole. That was decidedly different from the people who used to be in my house.
We all had a good time and the evenings ended without police cars, or arguments, or angry in-laws, or stolen property. The guests slept peacefully in the rooms that once burned red with evil. I think the house was finally happy again. And as I left for work this morning, it seemed to be content.
Awesome.
Thanks everyone.

1 comment:
Yes, yes...I think...if you look closely enough. There it is!!!! You can actually see the house smiling!!!! Or maybe it was too many Alabama Slammers. Either way, all is finally right with the world!!!!!
Post a Comment