Monday, April 30, 2007

The Love of Money

Our discussion last night made her realize that her payoff was not in the mail. It is waiting for her to sign the agreement. And yesterday she had put a deposit down on a new house, so now she risks losing it all if she can't get the money together.

She thought the settlement agreement was "only a formality." Apparently, she expected to get her share of the money without actually signing anything.

This was the incentive she needed. (I was hoping the incentive would be our daughter's welfare, but I guess money is really what talks). She told me today that she will get the papers signed within hours. This opens the way to have Robin Hood deliver my retirement savings to my wife.


I thought about sticking to my guns about visitation, but decided that it was better to resolve this living arrangement nightmare now, before any more damage is done to our daughter. A court battle would take months, and our daughter would only be exposed to more of her mother's weekend binges.


She also agreed to pay the electric bill and the water bill. Amazing! It took 15 years for her to pay a bill, but she finally agreed.

Altogether, this event is a success, but for some reason it really doesn't feel like a success. It is, I suppose, more of a successful failure.

Now we wait and see what happens, but at least we seem to be on the right track.

No comments: