Saturday, April 28, 2007

She Escapes Without Incident

Today is Saturday and my wife did not want to repeat the difficulties of last Saturday when she HAD to force her teenage daughter to stay home and babysit so that she could go out all night. This time she told me that she had a hair appointment at 3:00 PM and so I would have to be home to watch our 5-year-old.

Hmm. She had a hair appointment last Saturday. I think that this is probably just a way to get out of the house early and not come back until Sunday. I really don't care, but I couldn't be home at 3. I was working on the boat and did not come home until 6:30.

When I got home, my wife was long gone and the teenager was babysitting while taking a nap. But when she realized I was home, she immediately began launch preparations. Within an hour her friends were here to get her.

I laugh at this. But I also shake my head in disgust. You see, I could have gone to Al's or elsewhere, but I would rather hang out with our daughter and watch a movie than to go drinking and leave her with the teenager. I enjoy spending Saturdays with her. Sure, I enjoy getting out once in a while, but her mother has only spent one Saturday night home in the last 4 months. Her routine brings her home around 5 or 6 in the morning.

I'm not trying to say I am some great father or anything, but I have to admit that I am frustrated that my wife values alcohol more than quality time with her daughter. She would rather drink and dance and drink every Saturday, than be stuck home with her own child. And yet, she will get the majority of her time once she finally moves out.

That is the kicker. My wife automatically gets more time with our daughter when I am the one who would rather spend time with her. OK. That is my rant. Thank you.

Right now my 5-year-old is finally asleep after our movie night. Her older sister is gone and won't be seen again until Sunday night. Her mother is most likely pouring ice water down her shirt again at the local meat-market, while splashing apple martini's into her mouth. The place will close at 2:30, but my wife won't be dropped off at home until 5:00 AM.

You probably think I am exaggerating. But if you go check, I know you will find I am not.

No comments: