Sunday, April 22, 2007

Good Day Sunshine


Last night was Saturday night, or Mommy's Dancing night.

Usually I stay home on Dancing Night to watch our 5 year old daughter while Mommy paints the town red. But last night I was invited to Al's house with a few friends so I went.

I almost didn't make it because my wife blocked my car by parking behind it, but I escaped anyway, before she could head out as she does almost every Saturday night.

At 8:30 my wife had my daughter call me and leave a message asking me to come home. Obviously she needed a babysitter because either my wife or her teenage daughter would have to stay home to watch the little one. But I didn't run home. I stayed and watched a movie and laughed with friends, knowing that two women were desperately drawing straws to see who would get their groove on and who wouldn't.

I eventually made it home after midnight. I had figured that my wife would be there because there were many times in the past that she said it would be terribly unfair to ask the teenager to babysit while we both went out. But apparently the teenager drew the short straw. My wife's regular Saturday drinking was so important that her 18 year old daughter was forced to stay home. And I know that she was either forced or paid handsomely.

She was angry. When she saw me in the house she started banging things a little harder. Her door slammed and I didn't see her again. And honestly, I think this is the first Saturday that she has been home in at least 4 months.

My daughter was in bed but later told me that her sister had put her in bed early, turned the TV on, and left her alone.

I admit I took a little bit of pleasure in getting ready for church on Sunday. My wife had probably just gotten home, but I didn't care. I opened the curtains and doors and let the bright spring sun shine in.

No comments: