Sunday, July 1, 2007

Hello, You must be going


"There is a light at the end of the tunnel," I am often told. And this is true. I have glimpsed a faint light through that tunnel and I am trying to go toward the Light. But I now believe the tunnel may be getting longer, like that hallway in The Shining.

When my lawyer first asked me what to put down as my ex's move-out date, I told him that to be fair, I had to give her a little time after she received my money. A few weeks after the check arrives should be enough time for her to finalize her plans and close on a new place. She wanted it stretched to two months, but I would not agree to more than one month. Added to that month is the time it takes to process the payment, which means it'll take three months.

But I didn't calculate her ability to take advantage of me some more.

My daughter was telling me the other day, with some excitement, that Mommy's house has been started. They have built the basement. And the basement will have a big bar in it. The basement will be like mine, only nicer, she says. And Mr. Mark showed her and Mommy where the bar would be.

I assume this is the same Mr. Mark that makes out with my Ex at the local bar, and sends her "I miss you" text messages.

This is the first I've heard of Mr. Mark from my daughter, but apparently he knows exactly where the bar will be. That's fine. Soon Mr. Mark will find out exactly where all his money goes, too.

This new house, however, will not be done in 2-3 months. I'm sure it will take longer, and my Ex has said she refuses to move twice. She would rather live with me, for free. (She still hasn't paid any of the agreed rent, which is only $360 for a 4-bedroom house). And to stretch out her evacuation date, she only has to delay the retirement payoff. Could she do that?

Here is where I made a mistake. The agreement is based on her getting the check, and she has the ability to delay the check by dragging her feet. The retirement fund people will mail her a package and she will have to pick how she wants the money. It can be rolled over, or taxed and cashed out. She wants it in a check (I wish I could tell them to send her Canadian pennies), so that she can use the money I earned to buy her new house with Mr. Mark.

But all she has to do is sit on this package for a while and that will delay the check. In fact, she might be able to do that for months. I don't know of any time limit. So this means she can live with me for as long as she wants, with her adult daughter here too.

That is crazy. Her Queen of the Castle attitude, neighborhood flirting, along with her alcohol binging and hang-overs are slowly driving me nuts. We are now divorced. She brings home $4,000 each month just for wearing short skirts to the office. She needs to Move Out.

I don't know of a legal procedure to fix this, so I will have to make her want to move out. There has got to be something that would make her want to leave, if only I could think of it.

I could remove all the interior doors.
I could remove the carpet in her master bedroom.
I could disconnect the TV cable.
I could invite friends over, although I may have to pay them.

There are so many things I could do, but I have to be ready for her retaliation. And she always retaliates without hesitation.

There has GOT to be something I can do.

No comments: