Monday, June 11, 2007

Cell Phone Messages and Divorce Eve

Last night I was sitting on the couch while my wife was outside making new friends with the neighbors who have lived here for years, when I saw her cell phone. I picked it up and browsed through her recent call list and instant messages.

There was the usual number of calls to and from friends late at night as she would meet them somewhere. But then there were several Instant Messages from someone named "Mark".

Mark had sent her an IM the night before asking if she was out. She didn't answer until the next morning when she explained to him that she was stuck at home because she has kids.

Mark then told her that he missed her, that he had been at the pool, and that she should lock the kids in the basement. He also said he had retired early because he had to pick up "Sky" who must be his child.

Since Mark's phone number was in her cell phone, I called him. I called him from her phone so that he would think she is calling. But when he answered, he only said "Hello," not "Hey there sweet thing."

I said nothing and he hung up. I didn't get any intel from that call.

Minutes later he called back on her phone. Hmm should I answer it?

Yes. I said Hello. Mark immediately hung up, not wanting to talk to any male on my wife's phone.

I have to be honest. The experience hit me without warning. I only had a few thousand clues that this kind of thing was going on, but who would have figured that it is actually true. My wife is with someone else! Someone named Mark!

Maybe it the Mark who she was making out with at midnight on November 20, 2004 in a bar with people cheering her on. I see that Mark from time to time. He works in the same large facility that we both work at. He never looks at me.

It bothers me to think of it, but I suppose I will get used to it. But I don't think I will ever get used to the fact that she is with someone else AND stole my retirement, forcing me to work an extra 15 years. That is unfathomable. She should have done one or the other.

I want my money back.


Oh well. At least Mark gets her debt-free, unlike me. (I paid off her debts, bought her a car, provided good housing for her for 15 years, paid off her debts again, and then gave her half the house and half my retirement savings!) I would send Mark a bill, but I think he will eventually be paying one way or the other.

The Countdown

We are now 15 hours away from Vehicle Separation. Tomorrow morning I show up for the divorce hearing and then it should be final. Then, some three months later, she will move out!

No comments: