Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Fired Again?


A friend at work tells me that my wife was "let go" from work just recently. It is possible. She doesn't speak to me and I rarely know when she has gone to work since she works part time. But this could be interesting.

In her workplace, it is not uncommon to switch from one contract to another. It happens every few years. And although there is never a guarantee that you can easily move to another company, it usually happens. So at this point I don't know if this is a planned switch to another company, or did she really get Let Go?

I notice that her things are packed up in her cubicle. So she is definitely leaving this particular job, but I don't know if she is starting a new job (in the same building) on Monday. We'll see. If she is really unemployed, then we are talking about Alimony and more Child Support, either of which would cause me to lose my house.

Nonetheless, I will sign the divorce complaint on Tuesday, and then the wheels begin turning. Already she has received a letter from her attorney asking for a retainer of $5,000 to cover the beginning of the expensive process. Her lawyer was looking forward to this, of course.

Meanwhile, she went to a party at the neighbor's house last night (Friday). It seemed to be a small get-together, judging by the few neighbors and cars that were there. Interesting that I wasn't invited. But that was OK because I caught up with an old friend at the old hangout of 20 years ago.


All in the Family
My wife's teenage daughter is doing well for herself. Last night she came home at 3:37 AM with a few friends. They all giggled as they clumsily crept into her bedroom. I don't know where they had been, but based on how one car was parked on the neighbor's lawn, I suspect they were feeling no pain.

I figured it was a couple of her girlfriends, but in the morning three of the four escaped. The step daughter opened our front door and a parade of teenagers walked quickly from the bedroom to the safety of the outdoors. Odd though, that one of them was at least six feet tall and had a towel over their head. Hmm.

Ahh yes. It was a 6' tall young man with one of my towels. Of course. He took the towel off once he was outside and got into his car and left (with my towel). I suppose he wanted me to think that he was just a girlfriend with wet hair. That would make perfect sense.

But what is most interesting (besides the fact that my wife is OK with men staying in her daughter's room overnight) is the fact that, once he was through the door, he took the towel off. In other words, he wasn't worried about being discovered. He was only concerned about being discovered while inside the house.

This is where the generations differ. When we were kids, 100 years ago, if we ever did something like that (and I don't remember it if I did) we would have taken extraordinary measures to never be discovered. Because if we were discovered, we would be just a little afraid of the consequences and of the impression we left on our elders. We might even have been a little ashamed; maybe. But certainly we wouldn't want the parents to ever know what we did.

Not so with today's kids. There is No Fear. As long as you can get out of the house, it doesn't matter what you do. There is no little voice in your head saying, Let's keep this quiet for now so that we don't get buck shot in our ass. I think taking the towel off was a little bit like giving the parents the finger as you drive off the neighbor's lawn.

No comments: