
I have always cursed myself for selling my parent's house that we all lived in for 40 years. My brothers and I just couldn't commit to keeping it, and although I thought I should keep it as an investment, my wife was against it. I figured that the real estate was not worth damaging a marriage.
It turns out, however, that the boyfriend did more damage, so I really should have kept the old homestead.
I've always wondered what I would do if it was suddenly on the market. It is a much older, smaller house, but in a nicer community. Would I move to this older, smaller house because of the memories and the community? Maybe.
Thankfully I never had to agonize over that decision; until now.
Old neighbors tell me that the house might go up for sale. And as soon as they told me that, my brain started overloading with the complex thought problems that this news presented. Immediately my brain started to thrash as it pondered the difficult decision.
And I've never been good at making decisions. I'm often indecisive, and usually choose poorly.
For me this is a tough one. The old house would cost the same or a little less (because it is in an affluent area). The cost of actually moving would eat up any savings in the smaller purchase price.
Aside from cost, I have to decide on several other factors. Right now I am very comfy in my 10 year old house that now has extra rooms. I've finished the basement, wired the network, and made several improvements on a house that was built with several extra features. The neighborhood is nice, and my daughter's friends are all on this street.The old house (52 years old) has a good location. It is near the bay, the bike path, and the good schools. The neighborhood is nice, but I don't think there are any 6 year old girls there.
Plus, the old house has tremendous appeal because we all grew up there from 1963 on.
This really is a tough one.
More on this later after a few drinks.
No comments:
Post a Comment