Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Greg in India

I closed a credit card account because I lost the card. They created a new account and sent me a new card. Yay.

But then I get emails--custom alerts that I had created for the old card. They say:
"For credit card account ending in 3611: A transaction exceeded ($ USD) 100.00."


Lots of my bills and payments are automatic, so perhaps something is trying to bill that account. I wonder what it is. I call Chase Bank at (800) 945-2000.

Greg: "Thank you for calling Chase. This is Greg, how may I help you."
[Judging by the accent, I believe "Greg" is in India, and has been up all night.]

Me: "Greg, I canceled an old card but I am getting emails telling me that something is trying to charge on it, and I am wondering if I may have set up a recurring bill on that card."

Greg [with heavy accent]: "Mr. Smith, that account is closed and no one can charge on it"

Me: "Yes, Greg. I know it is closed. I closed it. But I am wondering if I forgot to tell a merchant about it. I keep getting these 'Personalized Alerts' for the old account."

Greg:"Mr. Smith, who are you getting these emails from?"

Me: "I am getting them from you, Greg: Chase Bank"

Greg: "Mr. Smith, Don't worry, no one can use that account."

Me: "But Greg, why do I get these email alerts?"

Greg: "Mr. Smith, they are for your new account which you have been using."

Me: "Yes, well... The alerts are referring to the OLD account. And the new account doesn't have any alerts defined, so I can't stop them."

Greg: "Where are you setting these alerts?

Me: "On the Chase web page. You know? You've seen it?"

Greg: "Mr. Smith, the old account is closed and there is no information about it."

Me: "Thanks Greg. You've been really helpful."

Greg [anxiously]: "But Mr. Smith, you might want to sign up for Card Protector. It will alert you if anyone steals your identity or uses your cards..."

Me: "But Greg... That account is closed. No one can use it. I don't want to protect it now. It is safe. Even you can't access it."

Greg: "...It is only $11.99 per month..."

Me: "Thanks Greg. Bye"

No comments: