Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Certified Letter


The June anniversary of our divorce came and went, and I didn't get any court notices.

She had told me in an email that since she is still unemployed I can either voluntarily give her more money each week or go to court. I politely declined to give her any more than I already have. As it is, she now has more money in the bank and in retirement plans than I do.

With no new summons showing up, I figured she had decided not to sue me yet. And then, on Thursday, I got a notice in the mail that there is a certified letter waiting for me. The notice said that they would try to deliver it again the next day.

My heart sank. I couldn't believe it. I am already pinching pennies to get by, and now she wants MORE money. That is so unfair. I steamed about it for a while and when she called to talk to our daughter I asked her about it.

"What are you doing to me??" I asked.

"What are you talking about?," she replied.

"These court papers," I'm assuming they are court papers. "Why are you sending me court papers??"

"I have no idea what you are talking about," she said. "If you got papers, they aren't from me, which you should know if you read them."

"Oh. OK. Well. I guess I was mad at you for nothing. Nevermind."

I suppose she didn't send me court papers. It must be something else. And then it occurs to me: If she wasn't motivated to sue me before, now she is. Now she knows how to break me even further.

Way to go. Once again I have handed her the gun.

The next day the mailman came and went without getting out of his little Jeep. He didn't deliver the letter at all. He drove away.

I guess I could go get it from the post office, but why should I? I am certain no one is sending me a million dollars, so I don't think this could be anything good. And I don't want to sign for anything bad.

Hopefully it won't show up again.

1 comment:

The Ruiner said...

Well I finally decided to pick up the letter. Perhaps it is a check I asked to have re-issued.

It wasn't that check, but surprisingly enough, it was a $50 gift card from AAA for booking my vacation through them.

Hmm. Guess I should give this to my ex wife so that she doesn't go ahead and sue me.