Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not Entitled



She sent me a message today. She realized that the check for her jewelry came here by mistake after she sold my wedding band and other stuff to the jeweler. She asked me if I had the check and I said, Yes. But, I said, I want my ring back--or the money from it. She only replied that she wanted her check TODAY.


Nothing more was said. I sat and thought about it. Hmm. The check is hers, I can't falsely cash it (although I could deposit it into the old joint bank account). No. I will send it to her, BUT she really does owe me for the ring she took.

This was my ring. The one she gave to me (but I paid for). I figure it was probably an ounce of 14K gold, which makes it worth around $400, maybe. It's not a lot, but it is money to which she is NOT entitled.

Everything else she took she claims was stuff to which she was entitled, but this is not one of those things. It is mine. Removing it from the house is theft. It might even be Grand Theft if it is worth more than $400.

You see where I am going with this...

I want the money back. I want to put it in our child's college fund, or maybe buy a tank of gasoline. It is mine and she can't steal it.

I could take a photocopy of the check to the police and explain that I am quite sure she stole the ring. I could file a complaint and then show up in court with a tie on.

I could call my lawyer and have him write a letter for $399.


But the easiest thing to do was to write her an email telling her that I am sending her the check, but that I know what happened and I insist that she return the ring or the money to me. So I did that. I was careful not to make any kind of threat. I just want the property back.


Now the wheels are turning. I have started the chain of events that will lead to something. I'm not sure what, but it will probably be bad.

We'll see.

No comments: