The first artifact from my postal experiment has arrived. It has dropped out of the recursive whirlpool of Forwarded Mail.I received a card today from a travel agency. It had been sent to my house but didn't get there the first time. A yellow address sticker was slapped on it and was then forwarded to her house by mistake--like most of my mail--because our first names are similar.
But it didn't get delivered there either. Instead, it was given another yellow sticker and was forwarded again because I issued another Forward Order in my name at her house.
The forwarded card was thus forwarded again, returning to my house, where it was originally addressed. And somehow it ended up in my mailbox. It didn't go any further. It dropped out of the cycle.
The Mail of Two Cities
Who knows how many items are still being forwarded back and forth? My stuff gets forwarded to her house by mistake, and then forwarded back, rinse, repeat. Eventually there could be trucks and trucks of things just going back and forth between two cities, until the system collapses on itself and creates a black hole.
I tried talking to the post office several times and they had no solutions or suggestions. Now, the only way I know of preventing a worm hole from developing is to cancel her original Change of Address. So I submitted a form to cancel it. Even though I signed my own name, it was probably illegal. But what else can I do? Even the post office is powerless to stop it's own incompetence.
1 comment:
Mr. Ruiner, What you gotta do is wait on your porch for the mail carrier with a 50 in yer hand. Explain that there might be another of these several months from now if all goes well. Also, get his or her address.
Post a Comment