Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Office Dating Game

My good friend Sue stopped me at work. She was excited and more than a little anxious to tell me that my ex-wife was now sitting in the same area as her. She noticed her name on a nearby cubicle. But my Ex wasn't the only unwanted neighbor. Only 2 cubes down was Mark, the new victim--the guy that I found my wife kissing in 2004.

[I probably shouldn't say "new" since they have been together for 4 years now. I just didn't know it.]

Sue was disgusted, as I am, that we are going to be seeing my ex-wife on a regular basis. And to make it worse, her boyfriend--the smartass surfer dude--is there too.

But the funny part was that as Sue walked by, Mark was getting royally dressed down from my Ex. And not the type that you would expect. They were arguing fiercely. Sue says they were face to face and there was plenty of anger in my Ex's face.

I know that face well. In fact, I know that whole routine well. Many, many times I was there, arguing ridiculous things with her while the Twilight Zone music played in my head. There isn't anything that she won't cuss you out for. She is a pro. And Mark is now on the receiving end.

It was nice to think that he gets to experience a little of the torture that I went through. But at the same time, it does confirm that they are a real couple. And they have been a couple for a while, for only a real couple gets to argue like that. That was an uncomfortable confirmation for me, but an inevitable outcome of the whole divorce.

So the news creates mixed feelings, but I am sure that as time goes on, I will enjoy their arguing even more. I never expected to take such pleasure from her angry frowny face. The only thing I will enjoy more is when she pops him in the back of the head with a vase and he crumples up like a house of cards. God, that brings back memories (and some numbness)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And just when I was getting bored by the lack of drama in your life since the divorce. I guess there really is a God!