Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Accounting 101

We've been going back and forth on this money thing. She never paid me rent for the first half of October, before she moved out. I sent her emails and asked her if she was going to send me a check or should I just deduct it from her child support. She didn't reply.

Just to be sure of my legal ground, I went to my lawyer to get his opinion. Before I could even ask about the idea of withholding it, he told me to just deduct her debt from the child support payment. After all, her rent is part of the same court approved agreement that specifies the child support. Both debts are binding.

So, after getting a huge check that would buy half of a house, and then stealing my big bucket of change, she is going to refuse to pay me $100. (It would have been $200, but I allowed for some small items I owed her.)

After the lawyer consultation I sent her an email telling her that I am skipping the first week of child support ($100). She didn't like that and insisted I am legally wrong.


Well, I don't really know. The lawyer tells me that I am right. So we'll see. Either way I kept my $100.

Oh, and I just got the lawyer's bill. It is for $165.

Good thing I didn't go into accounting.

No comments: