Monday, January 8, 2007

Mother-Out-Law

Since my wife and I are still stressfully living in the same house pending the divorce that only she wants, she figured that she might as well ratchet it up a little by inviting her mother to come stay for a week. (That's her in the picture)

Great. This is what I need. Lectures about bringing God into my life from someone whose idea of parenthood was to leave her children in the car at the local pub while she satisfied her alcohol addiction. And then let her boyfriend chase the kids around the trailer once they got home.

Then there was the time they burned down the home for the insurance. And the OTHER time they burned it down for spite. My wife's surviving childhood photos have burned edges, as does her mind.

I always love her visits because she somehow turns a blind eye to the fact that her daughter is now out every Saturday drinking while her 5-year-old is home with me. Actually, our 5-year-old is quite used to it now. "Mommy is going dancing tonight," she will tell me. And I know that means that it will be dawn again before we see her.

Last Saturday she was out until 4:04 AM on Sunday. And her teenage daughter didn't come home until 2:00 PM the next day. (This is why I worry about my daughter and her maternal example.)

Perhaps having my mother-in-law in the same house will somehow reduce my wife's stress. After all, I'll be hiding in the basement with my computer and TV. Or maybe her mother being here will give her more baby-sitting options. Or maybe the idea is for her mother to gradually drive me to suicide. Either way, it should be interesting. I can't wait to see her tonight.

The lawyers have drawn up our settlement agreement, and if she actually signs it, she will be only 3 months away from moving out. And those will be the longest three months of my life, quickly followed by the poorest 15 years of my life. Make a note to self to save a pot for pissing into.

No comments: