Thursday, January 29, 2009

Top Stories

This is just an update to recent events. Several people have asked that I do this even though there isn't a lot going on right now.

Internet Dating
Well the Internet Date woman came over to make dinner as promised. It was a delicious dinner. We cooked steaks on the grill, she made some fancy macaroni, and we watched a DVD. And then, before I even had time to put the DVD back in the little box, she moved in.

I had told her to make herself at home, and apparently she took that literally. She became very much at home. And if there was any doubt that she was planning on staying, it disappeared when I saw that she brought her toothbrush.

I never would have thought to bring a toothbrush on a second date. But she wasn't about to leave here without brushing. Very commendable. Her plan was to stay the night. I thought that was unusual, but who am I to ruin her plan?

While she was here we talked about her childhood. It was very interesting. She has done a lot to escape what was a rather difficult experience. She tells me that she is one of 10 kids. All four of her older sisters had teenage pregnancies and left home. In keeping with tradition she left home as a teenager too, but without being pregnant.

One her sisters has had trouble with the law (prostitution, she thinks). Her father is a Nazi and she hasn't talked to her mother in years even though she sees her at the supermarket. Of all her siblings, only one has a job. The rest collect money from the state, or from her. This has caused a lot of conflict between her and her brothers and sisters, so she doesn't talk to any of them either.

Wow. I really couldn't compare with that. But I tried. I offered to her that I once burned down a tree in the front yard. But she countered with the story of her son lighting his bed on fire.

I don't think I see a long term relationship here.

And actually, I haven't seen her or anyone for a long time. It just seemed to be too much trouble at the moment, and right now I'm still a little bummed about the whole family disintegration thing. With the anger wearing off slightly, I start to miss the better parts of the relationship. But time and rum will fix that and eventually I will be more motivated.

The Ex
Well, she still doesn't have a job and still hints at increasing the child support I pay. I figured I would try to keep her out of court by offering her a 10% increase. She didn't respond to my offer but she does cash the checks.

She is still with the same guy I caught her with in 2004. My daughter loves to talk about how much fun they have. I bite my tongue.

Last weekend I was away and almost ruined my Ex's plans for her birthday. She wanted to go out drinking and didn't have me to watch our daughter. So she left her with a friend's babysitter overnight. Afterward my daughter was fine and thought little of it. "Mommy picked me up when she came home in the morning."

"She stayed out all night?" I couldn't help but say.

"Mommies can do that. It's OK," she says as if she was already briefed on proper parent behavior. I let it go, of course, but she must notice that none of her friends' mommies come home in the morning in the same skimpy outfit they wore last night. This just isn't the role model I want for her, but I can only hope that she notices that I rarely wear my skimpy outfit.

Puppy
My daughter has begged for a puppy for months. We used to have two dogs but they are both gone now and she really wants another. She even prefers a puppy over Disney World.

Well, I made the mistake of telling her that we could probably get one. Truth is, I would like a dog too, and I found a new born puppy that I can take home in March. So I put a deposit on it. But now I am not sure about if I am home enough to care for it. I could still back out of the deal if I want.

I'll probably go back and forth on this for a while before I flip a coin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad how we all get so much pleasure out of your problems. I guess it makes us realize that..."It really sucks to be you!"

The Fighting Shy said...

Ruiner: Change all your locks immediately.